GILBERTO EDINSON CHÉCHILE TONIOLO
MEDICAL DOCTOR (M.D.), Faculty of medicine,
RESIDENCY IN GENERAL SURGERY. Department of Surgery. Hospital Maciel. Faculty of Medicine, Montevideo, Uruguay.
RESIDENCY IN UROLOGY, Fundación Puigvert, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau. Autonomous University of Barcelona.
DOCTORAL THESIS (Ph.D., awarded cum laude by unanimous decision), “The use of L-myc genotype as a factor in predisposition and prognosis in patients with clinically localized prostate cancer.” University of Barcelona.
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR. Department of Histology and embryology, Faculty of Medicine, Montevideo.
QUALIFICATIONS & PROFESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS
DOCTOR IN MEDICINE, Faculty of Medicine, University of the Republic of Uruguay.
SPECIALIST IN GENERAL SURGERY, Graduate School of the University of the Republic of Uruguay.
DEGREE IN MEDICINE AND SURGERY. Validation of medical studies by the Autonomous University of Barcelona. Certificate issued by the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science.
SPECIALIST IN GENERAL SURGERY. Validation of medical studies by the Autonomous University of Barcelona. Certificate issued by the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science.
SPECIALIST IN UROLOGY. Certified by the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science.
ATTENDING PHYSICIAN Urology service, Fundación Puigvert.
DIRECTOR, Instituto Médico Tecnológico
March 2001 – present
DIRECTOR, Instituto De Enfermedades Prostaticas (Institute of Prostatic Disease) Instituto Universitario Dexeus
May 2007 – present
RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP. Uro-oncology Section, Urology Service. The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, USA.
INTERNATIONAL VISITOR. Laboratory of Molecular Urology. Wayne State University. Detroit, U.S.A.
21 – 28 May 1993
INTERNATIONAL VISITOR. Laboratory of Molecular Immunopathology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, USA.
9 – 13 May 1994
INTERNATIONAL VISITOR. Urology Department. Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
1 – 4 November 2004
SPANISH MINISTRY OF HEALTH . 1991. “The use of of L-myc restriction fragment length polymorphism as a predictor of susceptibility of metastasis in bladder cancer”.
SPANISH MINISTRY OF HEALTH. 1991. “In-vitro effect of high-energy shock waves in isolation or combination with chemotherapy on human renal cancer cell cultures.”
GENERAL DIRECTION OF SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH, Government of Catalonia. 1995. Development of networks on solid tumours.
EUROPEAN COMMUNITY (BIOMED). 1995. Familial prostate cancer detection, 1996-1999
GENERAL DIRECTION OF SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH, Government of Catalonia. 1996. Development of networks on solid tumours.
E. Pérez Castro Award in Urology. 1989
‘The value of transurethral resection of prostate cancer’
E. Pérez Castro Award in Urology. 1994
‘Determination of prognostic factors in incidental prostatic carcinoma’
Commendation, Portuguese Congress of Urology, Porto, June 1995.
‘Mutation of ras gene in patients with bladder cancer’
Catalan Urological Association Prize, 1995
‘Is neoadjuvant hormone therapy useful in prostate cancer?’
E. Pérez Castro Award in Urology. 1997
‘Orthotopic bladder substitution (physiopathology, types and our experience with Studer neobladders)’
Prize for best presentation: 63rd National Congress of Urology, Cadiz, 1998
‘L-myc restriction fragment length polymorphism as a prognostic factor in clinically localised prostate cancer.’
Prize for best oral presentation: IV Symposium of the Catalan Urological Association, 1999
‘Association of CIS and superficial bladder tumour (multivariate analysis)’
- SOCIEDAD DE CIRUGÍA DEL URUGUAY (URUGUAYAN SURGICAL ASSOCIATION)
- ASOCIACIÓN ESPAÑOLA DE UROLOGÍA (SPANISH UROLOGICAL ASSOCIATION)
- THE ACADEMY OF MEDICINE OF CLEVELAND.
- OHIO STATE MEDICAL ASSOCIATION.
- AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION.
- AMERICAN UROLOGICAL ASSOCIATION.
- EUROPEAN ORGANIZATION for RESEARCH and TREATMENT of CÁNCER (EORTC)
- ACADEMIA DE CIENCIAS MÉDICAS DE CATALUNYA (CATALAN ACADEMY OF MEDICAL SCIENCE)
- SOCIETAT CATALANA DE UROLOGÍA (CATALAN UROLOGICAL ASSOCIATION)
- SOUTH EUROPEAN URO ONCOLOGICAL GROUP
- EUROPEAN ASSOCIATION OF UROLOGY
- Multicenter, randomized trial comparing intermittent and continuous androgen blockade in the treatment of prostate cancer. hoe 766u/3008. Hoechst-Marion-Roussel.
- Multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase III trial to determine if Strontium-89 Chloride (metastron ®) delays the appearance of pain due to bone metastasis in patients with pain-free prostate cancer with biochemical indicators (raised PSA levels) of hormone escape. Pr96Mt01. Amersham Ibérica.
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel group trial on the efficacy and safety of gi 198745 in the treatment and modification of the progression of benign prostatic hyperplasia. arib 3003. Glaxo Wellcome.
- Safety and efficacy of leuprorelina depot used tri-monthly in patients diagnosed with disseminated prostatic adenocarcinoma. N 96-001 Abbott Laboratories.
- Randomized, double-blind, parallel-group trial of casodex (150 mgr daily) v placebo in patients with non-metastatic prostate cancer. 95/270 7054il/0024. Astra-Zeneca.
- Phase I pilot study: pharmocokinetic and pharmacodynamic evaluation of a semi-solid formula of prolonged-release analogue of lh-rh, triptorelina in patients with stage D prostate adenocarcinoma and who are following treatment with an oral anti-androgen. 1-bi 52014-97. Ipsen Pharma.
- Double-blind randomized, comparative multicentre study on the efficacy of fce 22891 vs ofloxacin in the treatment of complicated uti. 92 ipeo 080. Pharmacia Upjohn.
- A phase 2, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel group, adaptive, combined proof of concept and dose-finding study to investigate efficacy, safety, pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of asp3652 in the treatment of female subjects with bladder pain syndrome / interstitial cystitis. Astellas. protocol number 3652-cl-0018.
- Editor of 2 books on urology
- Author of seven chapters in international books on urology and 10 chapters in national books on urology
- 50 articles published in international journals
- 68 articles published in national journals
PRESENTATIONS AT COURSES AND CONGRESSES: 241
GUEST SPEAKER: 63 events
PARTICIPATION IN ROUND TABLES: 23 events